As long as she thinks of a man, nobody objects to a woman thinking.― Virginia Woolf, Orlando
Our final meeting is coming up next week, where we’ll examine the relationship between feminism and women’s liberation (they are different things), and interrogate the feminist ‘waves’. Under the spotlight will be how neo-liberalism has washed us up on an intellectually demented shore where embracing pornography, prostitution, and the objectification of other women are somehow feminist acts.
Note the venue change to seminar room 8 (see previous email for directions).
Yours in Sisterhood,
The Women of WAAC.
Email email@example.com for more info, (including details of women’s events in Canberra and special offers for members) or to sign up for our mailing list.
- Women policing in China: Separate but equal?
SEXISM, MISOGYNY, HARASSMENT, PATRIARCHY, GENERAL ICKINESS
- ‘Escape the corset’: South Korean women rebel against strict beauty standards
- Viral video documenting the honour killing of a young woman in Syria is being met with outrage and horror
- These Kenyan widows are fighting against sexual ‘cleansing’
- Indian girl, 13, is beheaded with a hook ‘for refusing to have sex with a neighbour who was a higher caste than her’
- Daughters burnt alive with mother who failed to produce son
- Women are burning with a kind of cold fury
- 16 Vancouver women facing human rights complaints for refusing to wax transgender woman’s male genitalia
- Hundreds of millions of women are believed to be “missing” in Asia and Eastern Europe because of ‘extreme sex preference’ for sons
- Saudi Arabia executes domestic worker who killed her attempted rapist
- Why women receive less CPR from bystanders
- Tinder rapist admits guilt, walks free until sentencing
- Woman who bore step-father rapist’s baby faces 20 years in El Salvador jail
- Honey Birdette accused of ‘soft porn’ as three ads deemed too sexual AGAIN.
- How to talk to your kids about porn (before the pornographers do)
- Porn is as ‘harmful as cigarettes’ and must be treated as a major health crisis with new restrictions on social media, MPs warn
- A disturbing new trend in men’s health
MALE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
- We despair. 10 women murdered in 22 days in Australia
- “I Could Kill You and No One Would Stop Me”. Weak State Response to Domestic Violence in Russia
- Almost every Native woman in Seattle has been raped, says an unearthed survey
- Gloucester man jailed for murdering wife and stepdaughter
- 2 women violently beaten by 4 Korean men… because they had short hair
NEW IN THE WAAC LIBRARY
Please see Megan to borrow a book from the WAAC library.
- Germaine. The life of Germaine Greer, Elizabeth Kleinhenz (2018)
- The Book of the City of Ladies, Christine de Pizan (1405 ). Yes, you read that right. Fourteen-oh-five.