Some things to help orient us for the meeting.
- The truth about the women in the window: As Amsterdam places new restrictions on its iconic red light district, we reveal grim lives of some sex workers that shatter the myth of the ‘happy hooker’
- Nevada’s legal brothels often just ‘prisons in doublewide trailers’
- Inside the tiny village in Gujarat riven by the sex trade
- Working as a receptionist in a legal brothel in Melbourne proved to me that prostitution is anything but a normal job
- What the idea of “sex robots” tells us about prostitution
- Nordic Model Now, an excellent site that promotes the Nordic model.
VIDEOS and PODCASTS
- Survivors speak out in new book about the prostitution industry, podcast 20 mins, featuring Melinda Tankard-Reist, and two survivors who shared their stories in the book, Simone Watson and Charlotte. Simone is a legend. If you only check out one resource, make it this.
- How porn creates the john: Porn, trafficking and the social construction of masculinity, 55 mins, Gail Dines.
FROM THE WAAC LIBRARY
Please see Megan to borrow a book from the WAAC library.
- Gatekeeping decriminalization of prostitution: The ubiquitous influence of the New Zealand Prostitutes’ Collective, Janice G Raymond (2018, journal article)
- Being and Being Bought. Prostitution, surrogacy and the split self, Kaysa Ekis (2014)
- Not a Choice, Not a Job. Exposing the myths about prostitution and the global sex trade, Janice G Raymond (2013)
- Prostitution Narratives (has a chapter by Simone Watson in it), Norma and Tankard-Reist (2017)
- The Idea of Prostitution, Sheila Jeffreys (1997)
- The Pimping of Prostitution, Julie Bindel (2017)