Why, though, does it take a mother, daughter, sister
for men to take a woman at her word?
― Joy McCullough, Blood Water Paint
Here are some items from the latest edition of The Loop, the newsletter of the Women’s Action Alliance Canberra. Email email@example.com for more info, including details of women’s events in Canberra and special offers for members.
SEXISM, MISOGYNY, HARASSMENT, PATRIARCHY, GENERAL ICKINESS
- Controversial apps for kids make cosmetic surgery into a game
- Child sex dolls on Wish were just the beginning- it gets worse
- Rape Crisis support services in Glasgow facing funding crisis because they only serve women and girls
- Gender pay gap extends all the way to kids’ allowances, analysis finds — and it’s worse than in the real world
- Iranian female photographer banned from stadium covers match from nearby roof
- Mexico City bans use of models at city events
- Girls aren’t good at maths or science? Nope. Maths and science haven’t been good enough for girls
- Ottawa judge strikes down two mandatory minimum sentences for ‘nice’ pimp
- ‘Just a piece of meat’: How homeless women use sex for survival
- New Zealand man admits secretly filming 34 women in shower
- Boy rapists expect girls to cry during sex, says activist Laura Bates
MALE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
- Women rarely lie, they can’t ‘just leave’ & leaving won’t always stop the violence: Myths about DV debunked — new resource for judges
- 13-yr-old Kenyan girl beaten to death for refusing to marry 60-yr-old man, killers escape with cattle fines
FROM THE WAAC LIBRARY
Please see Megan to borrow a book from the WAAC library. Loans are made for a period of one month on the condition that if the book is lost, damaged, or not returned, you will pay for a replacement.
- Woman. An intimate geography. Natalie Angier (2000)
- Paid For. My journey through prostitution. Rachel Moran (2013)
- Misogyny Re-loaded. Abigail Bray (2013)